viernes, 30 de diciembre de 2011

English Grammar


 Present continous



The "Present Continuous" we use when we talk about actions that are happening "now" or, at a time close to "now" or who have not finished.

For example: I'm eating (I'm eating) or I'm reading a book (I'm reading a book). In the latter case, you mean an unfinished action, not the book you're reading when you talk.
Also used to describe actions that are being developed around the time when it is spoken, though not necessarily in that moment:
I am studying français. I'm studying French (I have enrolled in an academy, but not necessarily at this very moment I am with books in French)
It is also used to describe an action that will take place in the near future and which has taken a final decision. In this case, you always have to mention the time in which to develop action:
I am going to London next week. I'm going to London next week (the action will develop in the near future and there is a final decision on my part to do it)
Another use is the present continuous to describe actions that are repeated often in this case, the prayer is accompanied by the word "always" (always):
He is always working. He is always working (meaning it works frequently, perhaps even excessively)
Formation of "present continuous" is built with the present indicative of the verb "to be" in its role as an auxiliary verb, and the "present participle" (= gerund) the main verb.

 
Structures:
 

Affirmative 

 
Structure: Subject + "to be" in this + the main verb ending with "ing".
 
Example: She is (She's) studying.
 
Negative
 
Denial structure: Subject + verb "to be" in this + not + main verb ending in "ing".
 
Example: She is not (Is not) working.
 
Question
 
Structure questions: Verb + subject + main verb ending in "ing" +?
 
Example: Is she working?


Exercices

1)      I'm reading an exciting book about the Roman Empire.

Actions that are happening now
Future arrangements
Habitual actions with a negative sense

2)      My mum is always complaining about everything.

Actions that are happening now
Future arrangements
Habitual actions with a negative sense

3)      Shut up! You are always making a lot of noise.

Actions that are happening now
Future arrangements
Habitual actions with a negative sense

4)      I'm meeting Oscar tomorrow at eight.

 Actions that are happening now
 Future arrangements
 Habitual actions with a negative sense

5)      Silence, ssshhh... We are listening to the news.

 Actions that are happening now
 Future arrangements
 Habitual actions with a negative sense


4 comentarios:

  1. milton is very good blog good especially your last post I'm super clear (:

    ResponderEliminar
  2. if i don´t have this !"$!"%!" headache i´ll read something... xD

    ResponderEliminar
  3. good video, good exercise, good blog:)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. good blog!!, is very precise and it have good structure, is very easy for understand , very well done!!

    ResponderEliminar